Ramakrishna Mission
Vivekananda Centenary College, Rahara
An Autonomous College (Status By UGC)
College with Potential for Excellence (CPE)

Accredited by NAAC with Grade A

The College
The Ramakrishna Mission Boys’ Home at Rahara, a branch centre of the Ramakrishna Mission, was founded in 1944 as an orphanage with a nucleus of 37 boys rendered orphan by the Great Bengal Famine of 1942-1943. Since then the Home grew in dimensions and activities adhering to the principle of service to mankind in the spirit of worship. Today, the Home is an educational complex with several schools and colleges wherein nearly four thousand students are receiving education and training in different subjects and trades according to the aptitude of each individual.

This College which forms an integral part and unit of this educational complex is owned and managed by the Ramakrishna Mission. The foundation stone of the College was laid by Srimat Swami Vireswaranandaji Maharaj, the then General Secretary of the Ramakrishna Mission, on 3rd December, 1961 and the College started functioning in July, 1963.

The College was established with a view to commemorating the First Birth Centenary of Swami Vivekananda, the Illustrious Patriot-Saint of India and with a view to imparting a general education on a religious background in the light of the teachings of Ramakrishna-Vivekananda so that the young pupils may get ample opportunities to build up their character to make themselves useful to their families and to fulfill at the same time their basic obligation to the country. The college was established and is being maintained and administered by the Ramakrishna Mission. There is no provision for hostel accommodation.